6 reasons why you should eat avocados daily
Avocados are the only fruit that provides a significant amount of “good fats” – healthy monounsaturated fatty acids, and they are loaded with nearly 20 vitamins and minerals, as well as other important nutrients. Here’s how this translates to real health benefits.
1. They’re good for your heart, because they contain beta-sterol, an important regulator of cholesterol levels.
2. They’re good for your eyes, due to their lutein and zeaxanthin content, which are both antioxidants which will protect your eyes from damage, including damage from ultraviolet light. Their mono-unsaturated fatty acids also support the absorption of beta-carotene, which may reduce the risk of age-related macular degeneration.
3. Half an avocado will give you 25% of the recommended daily intake of Vitamin K, which is good for bone health and can assist in warding off osteoporosis.
4. They contain folate, which appears to offer protection against some cancers, such as breast, colon, stomach, pancreatic and cervical cancer, although the role of folate in this is as yet unclear. Also folate is proven to be important in preventing neural tube defects in babies when taken during pregnancy.
5. They might cheer you up – not only because they are delicious but because folate has been linked to assisting in depression, by reducing homocysteine levels which interfere with serotonin and dopamine production, both important regulators of mood, appetite and sleep.
6. The high fibre in avocados is good for digestion and gut health, as well protecting against other chronic disease such as heart disease, stroke, obesity and hypertension.