Our T-Bone Steak and Black Pepper Butter recipe is a perfect fusion of juicy T-bone steak and luscious homemade black pepper butter, it’s a flavorful delight for your taste buds!
Prep Time: 15 Minutes | Cook Time: 20 Minutes | Serves 2
- 1 T-bone steak (about 900g), at room temperature
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 tsp salt
For the black pepper butter:
- 100g salted butter, softened
- 2 tsp cracked black pepper
- 1 tbsp Dijon mustard
- A pinch of salt
For the charred veg:
- 1 red onion, quartered
- 1 white onion, quartered
- 3–4 spring onions
- 1 medium leek (white part only), split lengthways and halved
- 6 tender stem broccoli spears
- 1 lemon, cut in half
- 2 thyme sprigs
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Sprigs fresh rosemary
- First, prepare the black pepper butter: mix the ingredients together in a small bowl until evenly combined, then spoon onto the middle of a sheet of foil or cling film and roll to form a cylinder, roughly the diameter of a £1 coin. Twist the ends of the foil or cling film to seal and place in the fridge for 30 minutes to firm up.
- Meanwhile, for the charred veg, place all the onions in a large bowl with the leek, broccoli, lemon and thyme. Drizzle with the oil and season with a little salt and pepper.
- When ready to cook, rub the T-bone steak with the oil and salt, then lay on the hot barbecue grid and cook for 5 minutes. Turn the steak over and cook for another 5 minutes using a pair of tongs.
- Quickly place the onion wedges around the steak and cook, turning occasionally, for 5 minutes. Now lay the leek, spring onions, broccoli and lemon halves on the grid and scatter over the thyme sprigs. Cook until the veg are tender and charred on both sides, turning as necessary.
- Once the steak is cooked, lift it off the barbecue onto a warmed platter. Cover the steak with an upturned bowl to keep it warm and leave to rest for 5–8 minutes. Meanwhile, unwrap the black pepper butter and slice it into discs, the thickness of a $1 coin.
- Carve the steak on either side of the T-bone and place it on a warmed platter or board. Lay the butter discs on top of the steak. Serve with the barbecued veggies and the charred lemons for squeezing over them.