This Broccoli Soup recipe is a delightful blend of flavours, that create a filling and healthy winter meal.
Prep Time: 15 Minutes | Cook Time: 25 Minutes | Serves 4-6
- 2 large heads of broccoli, chopped into florets
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons butter or olive oil
- 4 cups vegetable or chicken broth
- 1 cup milk or cream (for a creamier version)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Bread chunks
- Optional: grated cheese, a drizzle of olive oil
- In a large pot or Dutch oven, melt the butter or heat the olive oil over medium heat.
- Add the chopped onion and garlic, sautéing them until they become translucent and fragrant.
- Add the broccoli florets to the pot and stir them together with the onions and garlic.
- Pour in the vegetable or chicken broth, making sure the broccoli is mostly covered. Bring the mixture to a boil, then reduce the heat to a simmer.
- Cover the pot and let the soup simmer for about 15-20 minutes, or until the broccoli becomes tender.
- Once the broccoli is cooked, you can use an immersion blender or regular blender to puree the soup until smooth. Be cautious when blending hot liquids – allow the mixture to cool slightly if using a regular blender and blend in batches if necessary.
- Return the pureed soup to the pot (if using a regular blender) and stir in the milk or cream to add richness to the soup. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Reheat the soup gently, but do not bring it to a boil after adding the milk or cream to prevent curdling.
- Ladle the hot broccoli soup into bowls and top each serving with crunchy bread chunks, grated cheese, and a drizzle of olive oil for an extra touch of flavour.
- Serve the soup hot and enjoy the delightful combination of creamy broccoli with bread chunks.
This wholesome and heartwarming Broccoli Soup with Crunchy Bread Toppings will make your winter dining experience truly special. Get ready to indulge in a bowl of pure comfort!