This recipe combines the richness of cauliflower with aromatic seasonings, resulting in a velvety texture and satisfying taste. Topped with crispy croutons, it’s a delightful balance of flavors and textures. Get ready to savour this cozy and delicious soup that will warm you from the inside out.
Prep Time: 15 Minutes | Cook Time: 35 Minutes | Serves 4
- large head of cauliflower, roughly chopped
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 4 cups vegetable or chicken broth
- 1 cup milk (or dairy-free alternative)
- 2 tablespoons butter (or olive oil for a vegan version)
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 cup bread cubes or croutons
- Fresh parsley, for garnish
- a large pot, melt the butter over medium heat. Add the diced onion and minced garlic, and sauté until they become translucent and fragrant, about 5 minutes.
- Add the chopped cauliflower to the pot and stir to combine with the onion and garlic. Cook for an additional 5 minutes to lightly brown the cauliflower.
- Pour in the vegetable or chicken broth, ensuring that the cauliflower is mostly covered. If needed, add additional broth or water. Season with salt, pepper, dried thyme, and ground nutmeg. Stir well.
- Bring the mixture to a boil, then reduce the heat to low. Cover the pot and let it simmer for about 20-25 minutes, or until the cauliflower becomes tender.
- Using an immersion blender or regular blender, puree the soup until smooth and creamy. If using a regular blender, work in batches, being cautious of the hot liquid. Return the blended soup to the pot.
- Pour in the milk (or dairy-free alternative) and stir until well incorporated. Heat the soup over low heat for an additional 5 minutes, allowing the flavors to meld together.
- Meanwhile, prepare the croutons. Preheat your oven to 180°C. Spread the bread cubes or croutons on a baking sheet and toast them in the oven for about 5-7 minutes, until they become crispy and golden.
- Ladle the cauliflower soup into bowls and garnish with the toasted croutons and fresh parsley.
- Serve the cauliflower soup hot and enjoy its creamy texture and comforting flavors.
This recipe yields approximately 4 servings. Adjust the quantities according to your needs, and feel free to customise the seasonings and garnishes to your taste.