Bacon-wrapped asparagus is a crowd-pleaser and a perfect combination of flavors and textures. Enjoy your delicious and savoury treat!
Preparation Time: 10 minutes Cooking Time: 15-20 minutes Total Time: 25-30 minutes Servings: 4
- 1 bunch of fresh asparagus spears (about 450g)
- 8-10 slices of bacon (thinly sliced works best)
- Olive oil for brushing
- Salt and black pepper to taste
- Toothpicks (optional)
- Preheat the Oven: Preheat your oven to 400°F (200°C).
- Prepare the Asparagus: a. Wash the asparagus under cold water. b. Snap off the tough, woody ends of the asparagus, as mentioned in the previous recipe.
- Wrap the Asparagus: a. Take a slice of bacon and start at the bottom of an asparagus spear. b. Gently wrap the bacon around the asparagus in a spiral pattern until you reach the top. c. If the bacon doesn’t stick on its own, you can secure it with a toothpick, but it’s not always necessary.
- Arrange on a Baking Sheet: Place the bacon-wrapped asparagus on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper or a lightly greased baking dish. Leave a little space between each piece to allow for even cooking.
- Brush with Olive Oil: Brush the bacon-wrapped asparagus with a bit of olive oil. This helps the bacon crisp up nicely during baking.
- Season: Season the bacon-wrapped asparagus with a pinch of black pepper. Remember that the bacon itself is quite salty, so you may not need to add additional salt.
- Bake in the Oven: Place the baking sheet in the preheated oven and bake for about 20-25 minutes or until the bacon is crispy and the asparagus is tender. You can broil for an additional 1-2 minutes at the end if you want the bacon to be extra crispy.
- Serve: Remove the bacon-wrapped asparagus from the oven and let them cool slightly. If you use toothpicks, make sure to remove them before serving. Arrange on a platter and serve as an appetizer or side dish.